“Safer At Home”
Gov. DeSantis issued Executive Order 20-91, which places the entire state of Florida under the “Safer at Home” initiative. This order, which has been implemented in Monroe, Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties since Monday, March 30, states that all persons within the state of Florida shall limit the time spent outside their home to only essential activities.
This order still allows people to take care of pets and engage in outdoor recreational activities, as long as social distancing is observed. Senior citizens and individuals with a significant underlying medical condition shall stay at home and take all measures to limit the risk of exposure to COVID-19. Any business capable of providing delivery, or curbside service is encouraged to do so.
- State of Florida has been ordered to “stay at home / work from home” till April 30, 2020. Stay at home or place of lodging other than essential activities, essential business or government operations.
- The Keys are closed to visitors.
- The Keys has closed all bars, restaurants, parks and municipalities till April 30, 2020.
- The Keys have experienced a few confirmed cases of COVID-19. Since the situation is dynamic, Florida Keys Vacation Rentals Inc recommends connecting with Monroe County’s local resources to obtain the most recent information.
- See the latest from the Monroe County Dept. of Health here.
Checkpoints continue for visitors in the Florida Keys
Monroe County, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, and the municipalities have partnered to continue to operate the 24-hour southbound traffic checkpoints at mile marker 112.5 on the 18-Mile Stretch (U.S. 1), and on Card Sound Road (905) to reinforce Monroe County’s closure to visitors and non-residents. Due to heightened concerns of COVID-19, only residents, property owners, and those actively involved in work in the Florida Keys will be admitted, including fuel tankers, delivery and grocery trucks.
According to Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, 788 cars were turned around in the first 48 hours, and an estimated 2,000 people. Before the checkpoint started on Friday morning, the Florida Department of Transportation traffic counters were about 47-49 percent of average traffic flow for this time of year. Since the checkpoint was enacted, the traffic counters are at 23-26 percent of the average traffic flow for this time of year.
- Proof of residency can be demonstrated with local identification, or a hard copy of the utility bill, deed, lease, or tax bill with a matching ID.
- Those actively engaged in work in the Florida Keys, such as construction workers, will need to show a hard copy of a letter from their employer, employee identification, a paystub, or current construction contract in the Keys.
- First responders, healthcare workers, and military actively engaged in work in the Keys will need proper IDs.
Long delays are possible at checkpoints. DO NOT call 911 with non-emergency questions about U.S. 1.
Florida Keys Vacation Rentals Inc will continue to keep you informed with the most up to date information. Please note that we are taking reservations for the summer and onward in the Florida Keys.
Please feel free to call us direct for detailed information at: 305-289-6510